Zuyd.nl uses cookies. Click here for more information.

Satin White

Studying as a refugee

If you have a residence permit and would like to study at Zuyd University of Applied Sciences, we would like to welcome you! Below you find information on the available options and where to find support.

Switch to Dutch version

What do you need in order to study?

  • residence permit
  • valid diploma for admission to the study programme
  • sufficient knowledge of English (or Dutch)
  • sufficient funds to pay for the costs of studying


Which study programmes can you follow at Zuyd?


The study programme webpages provide more information on the contents of the study programmes and admission.



Open Days
Visit an Open Day or an Experience Day /Taster Class. Participation is free and without obligation.

Enrolling for a study programme
If you know what study programme you want to do, and you meet the admission requirements, then you can sign up via Studielink.

Correct diploma
To find out whether you can be admitted with your diploma, you can first compare your diploma with a Dutch diploma.

Official diploma recognition
If you have signed up via Studielink, we will apply for an official diploma recognition for you. This is free.

Language level
At which level do you need to speak the language?

For study programmes in English:

  • B2 level (supported by a IELTS, TOEFL, or Cambridge certificate)
  • exception: if you have a secondary education diploma from an institution in the European Union (EU), you do not need a certificate.

For study programmes in Dutch:

  • B2 level (NT2)
  • exception: C1 level is required for Education in Primary Schools. 

Paying for your study programme
Studying costs money. This concerns tuition fees as well as books and a laptop. To pay for this, you as a holder of a residence permit may apply for student finance. This is a loan from the government. Read more about this on DUO's website.

Help for refugees
The UAF helps refugees to find work or studying opportunities and can also provide financial support. This money is intended for tuition fees, language courses, books, and other costs of studying. Follow the steps to find out whether you are eligible.

Who can help you at Zuyd?
Refugee coordinator Nouran Ahmed-Serag will help you with the procedures. She speaks English, Dutch and Arabic. You can reach her from Monday to Thursday from 9 till 17 hr.

Tel: +31 (0)6 30 79 75 82
E-mail: vluchtelingen@zuyd.nl


If you have any questions, please contact our refugee coordinator. You can reach her from Monday to Thursday from 9 till 17 hr.


Nouran Ahmed-Serag

T +31 (0)6 30 79 75 82

E vluchtelingen@zuyd.nl

Help with the procedures

To Pathfinder