Zuyd.nl uses cookies. Click here for more information.


Visa and residence permit

International students are subject to the Dutch immigration procedures. These procedures can vary depending on your nationality.

Non-EU citizens
Generally speaking, most non-EU citizens will have to obtain a visa in their home country before they can travel to the Netherlands. If you are from the USA, Canada, Japan, South Korea, Australia, New Zealand, the Vatican City and Monaco, you do not need a visa. However, you will need a residence permit if you are going to stay in the Netherlands for more than three months. Please check the information document (pdf) and the application form (pdf) to apply for a residence permit. Please send the signed forms by express and registered mail to the address mentioned in the form (e.g. by DHL).

Chinese students
If you have the Chinese nationality, you will need to obtain a so-called Nuffic certificate before we can start your short visa procedure. This does not apply to students from Hongkong.

Use the Residence Wizard
Please consult the Residence Wizard to check whether you need a visa and/or residence permit in the Netherlands. If you do need a visa, you can download this information document (pdf) and use this application form (pdf).

Scam alert!
We were informed by IND that they have received signals that students are being approached by an organisation pretending to be IND and they request a payment for legal fees or other costs. This is a scam! IND never directly approaches students, all payments to IND for legal fees are done via the institution of higher education, so you pay the fee to the school only. 
If you receive such a request, please inform us immediately.

Biometrics have been introduced as a replacement for the Photo Card form. If you need a visa you will have to provide a photograph at the Embassy / Consulate concerned. If you do not require a visa you will have to visit an IND front office after your arrival in The Netherlands. Your fingerprints will be taken and your signature is required. This will be used for the production of the residence permit card.

Study Progress Report 
All higher education institutions and universities are obliged to send an annual report to the Dutch Immigration Authorities (IND) regarding the study progress of the international students. You must obtain at least 50% of the total number of ECTS credits each academic year in order to be able to continue your study. If this requirement is not met, IND has the right to cancel your residence permit and you will be unable to stay in the Netherlands to finish your studies at Zuyd. It’s also not allowed to change courses.

Tuberculosis test
For a number of nationalities it is obliged to undergo a tuberculosis test and - if necessary - treatment - in order to obtain a residence permit.

Health care insurance
Please take into account that Health Care Insurance is obligatory. For more information, please check this information sheet (pdf).  

Use the manual

Read the manual (pdf)



The application deadline for a visa and/or residence permit for academic year 2018-2019:  

1st July 2018



Send an e-mail