Zuyd.nl uses cookies. Click here for more information.

Satin White


Before you travel to the Netherlands, make sure that you are properly insured against risks. A health care insurance is one of the conditions you will have to meet to receive your residence permit.

There are three options for health insurance:

  • Your insurance policy in your home country covers your stay in the Netherlands.
  • You take out a new or special insurance policy for your stay in the Netherlands.
  • You are admitted to the Dutch national health insurance scheme because you work in the Netherlands.

Your own insurance policy
The Netherlands has signed treaties regarding health insurance with a number of countries, including most of the member states of the EU. If you are insured under the national health insurance scheme of one of these countries, your insurance company can provide you with either an international claims form or with a European Health Insurance Card. Make sure to bring this when you travel to the Netherlands. You will need it whenever you need medical assistance in the Netherlands. We recommend to register at a Dutch general practioner. Whatever type of insurance you have, please make sure that your insurance documents are written in one of the more common European languages.

New Dutch insurance policy
If your insurance does not cover your stay in the Netherlands, and if you can't make use of the international treaty described above, then you will have to take out a private insurance policy. Special policies are available for international students in the Netherlands. The following companies are recommended by the Nuffic, the Netherlands’ organisation for international cooperation in higher education. Check their websites for details: 

  • AON
  • OOM Verzekeringen 
  • Unirobe Meeùs.


Automatic admission to the Dutch health insurance system
Finally, there is a possibility that your circumstances will automatically place you under the Dutch national health insurance scheme (basisverzekering), whether you are insured at home or not. This could be the case if you are employed in the Netherlands, for instance for an internship. You can check this with your Dutch employer.


Liability insurance 
You are strongly advised to carry a liability insurance. If you are liable for an accident that injures someone or damages another person's property, you may be held liable for all the costs resulting from the accident. You might, for example, break something where you are working or studying, or cause damage to your rented room. The resulting claim for damages could be very high. You are therefore strongly urged to have an adequate liability insurance. You can arrange such cover either in your own country or through Zuyd University of Applied Sciences.

Other insurance
Insurance to cover the costs of repatriation is also strongly recommended. This means that if you should become seriously ill or die, a family member can be flown to the Netherlands to take you back home. Finally, it is wise to insure yourself against theft and the costs of accidents and legal advice.


Studenten Zuyd Hogeschool